img alt="dcsimg" id="dcsimg" width="1" height="1" src="//statse.webtrendslive.com/dcsvdzuhkuz5bdedt7zapki6k_1n8c/njs.gif?dcsuri=/nojavascript&WT.js=No&WT.tv=10.2.0&dcssip=www.bosch-pt.com"/>

Woodworking

Richard Geddes
Sector experience
Not enabled 
Sector
Electrical installation
Activity
Thread: GST 135 BCE precision control
on 13.03.2012 at 21:34
(0 ratings)
p_10454_25710_13_3619

A few months ago I bought this jigsaw after looking at allsorts of different makes and models. I chose this particular one because of the "precision control" feature it boasted of and because I have been very pleased with all my other bosch power tools in the past. This feature however seems to be the only let down on the jigsaw. The quick release blade system is fantastic, the variable speed control is good and there is a  general robust feel to the jigsaw. When the precision control button is pressed and the blade clamped, I find when cutting curves that sparks fly off the blade due to the blade rubbing against the clamping mechanism. I have noticed that this product has now been replaced and a new "double roller" system is on the new model. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem because I feel a little like I have bought a duff innovation that has been quietly disposed of.

Magillathadrilla
Sector experience
Not enabled 
Sector
Electrical installation
Activity
on 14.03.2012 at 08:20
(0 ratings)
p_10470_22511_13_3619

I'm surprised that you've had problems with your precision control mechanism.  It's also the reason I bought mine.  I find the adjustment simple, intuitive and reliable.

Do you think perhaps it's tightening the guides on the blade too much?  I previously had a Festool PS300 jigsaw, which had a similar but manually set pair of ceramic guides that gave me no end of trouble.  They were always either too loose or too tight, which caused wayward cutting or blade overheating respectively. If they're too tight the blade gets very hot, causing burning and blueing of the blade.

Curve cutting puts significant lateral and twisting stresses on the narrow blade:  even more so if the radii of your cuts is less than your blade is designed for.  Narrow blades for tight curves, fat blades for speed and straight cutting.  The sparking could also be a symptom of the guides doing their job, i.e. what they're designed to do.  Keeping the blade on-line and perpendicular, and compensating for these stresses.

I've always been mightily impressed with the performance of my GST135BCE, and find it far superior to all my other saws.  I have 5 in total, an old Elu, an AEG, the Festool previously mentioned, and a top of the line Metabo.  The last two were much more expensive than the Bosch, but pale in comparison. I regard that particular model as one of the best tools I own, and one of the best designed tools Bosch made!

Perhaps you should have it looked at. 

Richard Geddes
Sector experience
Not enabled 
Sector
Electrical installation
Activity
on 14.03.2012 at 08:30
(0 ratings)
p_10471_25710_13_3619

Thanks for the reply. I do love everything else about this jigsaw but haven't had much luck with the precision control at all. I'm sure it is probably down to user error rather than the jigsaw being at fault but found it odd that this particular feature has been removed from the replacement model and wondered if it was because of the problems I have found with it. It may be that my particular machine is clamping too tightly.

Bob Community Team
Sector experience
Not enabled 
Sector
Bosch associate
Activity
on 14.03.2012 at 10:52
(0 ratings)
p_10472_21083_13_3619

Hi Richard

The precision control is the big feature on this machine and they have kept the feature in the replacement: GST 140 BCE/CE . What blade are you using and what kind of application were you doing when it sparks. Depending on the blade you have fitted it could possibly be due to the orbit being too high for the blade and it is 'pinching' the teeth together on the down stroke. If you are doing preciese cuts then you could dial the orbit down for that cut.

I'm interested to see what combination is causing this for you.

Kind regards

The Bob Team

This post was edited by Bob Community Team on 14.03.2012 at 10:53 .
Reason: edit

TomasP
Sector experience
Not enabled 
Sector
Joinery installation in the broadest sense
Activity
on 16.03.2012 at 20:32
(0 ratings)
p_10550_22919_13_3619

I have noticed there are few sparks coming out sometimes, but have not had a problem with it yet.
Also make sure you are using thinner blades, as Bosch also do thicker ones ending DP and they would not fit in to roler properly adding extra pressure and possibly causing sparks?
Mine is about 3 years old now and could do with service probably as orbital action switch is getting stiff now, but apart from that is a excellent tool.

Richard Geddes
Sector experience
Not enabled 
Sector
Electrical installation
Activity
on 17.03.2012 at 08:06
(0 ratings)
p_10570_25710_13_3619

The issue only really happens when cutting worktops (for sinks and hobs). I have tried using thinner blades but found that it wanders somewhat. I tend to cut round the bends with the orbital setting off. I have tried used blades T244D speed for wood, T144DP precision for wood and T101B clean for wood and it has marked all the blades. As I say i'm very pleased with the rest of the jigsaw but the jury is still out on this particular feature. On another note, I purchased the GWS9-115 115mm angle grinder this week and have been very impressed with it. I have been using a 720W bosch grinder in the past and have found the extra power in this models motor really makes a difference.

Was this thread helpful to you?
(0 ratings)
t_3619_25710
Go to top of page

Imprint | Press | Power tools
The Bosch Group worldwide | Jobs and careers | Research and development | Purchasing and logistics | Quality

© Robert Bosch GmbH